Monday, February 15, 2010

Trial Countdown: 5 Days...

I went out to Dianne's today and worked Moss for the first time in a week or so. We need to get in some good practice this week before our first trial :)



Moss did awesome. It sure is fun having a dog that does inside flanks! Not that I know how to work him very well, though. We practiced lifting sheep off of Dianne (he didn't even seem to notice her, which was GREAT!)and did a lot of driving. Driving back and forth across the field, driving to different places in the field, working on inside flanks... lots of stuff like that.

At first, I felt totally lost. It took me awhile to get my head on straight and figure out what I was doing. I was depending on Dianne to tell me what to do too much, and it showed. Thankfully, by our second work I had figured out what I was supposed to do and it all went much better. I think I might be starting to figure this stuff out. I guess we'll find out this weekend!



I feel like such an idiot most of the time when working Moss. Somewhere along the line, my goober-headed puppy boy has turned into a grown-up sheepdog with real skills. When did this happen? :D Hopefully I can catch up to his ability level soon.

On a side note, I've been watching this show online over the weekend, and am completely addicted:

Come Bye 2007
http://www.horseandcountry.tv/episode/come-bye-2007-episode-1

If you ever have fifteen hours to kill, check it out. It chronicles the 2007 Irish, English, Scottish, and Welsh National Sheepdog Championships and the International Championships as well. Great stuff.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Ellie
I will pass on something that was told to me the first time. Breath and all will go well. So just remember to do that. Good luck and we will be cheering you on even though we are running against you.