Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 2... We got the pen!

Subtitle: Moss did everything I asked him to do. Unfortunately, most of what I told him to do was wrong :D

It was day two of the trial today and like yesterday, we had to wait forever and day for Novice to get started. We ran third, and didn't get to go until about an hour before dark.

Earlier in the day, Dianne used Moss to bring out fresh sheep to the set-out pens. It was his first time working such a large number of sheep, and he did great! He listened well to her and was kind to the sheep. He's such a good boy. I really wish I would have brought my camera out.

My goals for today's run:

1) Have a nice outrun, and remember to correct Moss if he started to cut in too soon.
2) Finish the pen on time.
3) Don't trip and fall and accidentally moon the judge.

We achieved all three of these goals today. We had a decent run (other than me totally forgetting my flanks at the pen... making the sheep circle around a few times unnecessarily) and ended up getting seven more points than yesterday so that was good. I was still pretty uncoordinated and nervous, but at least I didn't fall down today :). There were some issues with the drive again... but I just need more practice. I also forgot which way I was supposed to go around the post... but I think I got it right so that's no biggie :)

Overall, I had a great time this weekend and can't wait to do it again! My dog worked well for me and did what I asked him to do, which is all I can really ask for at this point. We did about exactly as well as we should be doing at this point in our "education." I definitely learned a ton/have some new "tools" in my mental toolbox, and hopefully my nerves won't be so bad next time now that our first trial is out of the way :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures this weekend :( Oh well, maybe next time. Here's one I took on Thursday at Dianne's.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Very Cool, Moss is such a good boy!!!I cant wait until the weather becomes warmer!!