Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Let it Snow

It's snowing outside, which may thwart my plans for today. Oh well! I may or may not make the trek out to Dianne's like I'd planned... I don't know how the roads will be. :-\

I've been fortunate to be able to get out to Dianne's three times in the past week. Both Cedar and Moss are working really well. With Cedar, I've been trying to take a lot of the pressure off her; going back to easier stuff but making it PERFECT this time around.



I've insisted that she stay backed off and slow, which has helped curb some of her frantic behaviors that have been the bane of my existence for so long. Of course, it helps that I at least know what "good" is supposed to look like, now. I am getting better at correcting her because I am beginning to have to knowledge to do so. That's pretty cool... Even though I still feel like a dumb-ass a lot of the time. :) By the end of Monday's work, Cedar was nicely backed off and doing really wide (for her, anyway) outruns and was actually pacing herself on the fetch and drive.

See? :)



I just really wish that I was able to work her more consistently. Working Cedar has definitely been an exercise in "love/appreciate the dog you have." It has been very difficult for me to appreciate what she's teaching me when at least 99% of her lessons are of the "hard knocks" variety :). Reflecting on our 'journey' so far, though, I've learned a lot from her. One of these days I'll have to write about it.



Moss was his usual awesome self. I really don't have much to report other than I can practically send him on an outrun from my feet, his driving is kick-ass, and he continues to amaze me with his intelligence, maturity, and feel for the sheep.



His problems w/ covering at the top of the outrun seems to be fixing itself...on Monday, his last outrun was spot-on perfect, and I didn't have to say a word to him. It gave me the chills.



I love the look of joy on his face when I send him...



It's been fun having him back at home, too. He seems to have grown up a bit mentally during his month and a half with Dianne. He's been great around the house.

1 comment:

JoeC said...

Damn snow ruining our fun today, oh well the dogs had a great time at the park, Moss is very nice to have around again, I miss the dogs up in Richland.