Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Journeys With Cedar...... and Moss

Okay, I'll admit it, I've slacked off on this blog for the past few weeks... but I have a good excuse: on Monday the 9th, I brought Moss home! He has kept us all busy and laughing at his antics, and left me waxing poetic on the merits of ADULT dogs :D I know it sounds cliche but I really had forgotten just how much work puppies are!

He sure is a cute little bugger, though:

Photobucket

...and I am hopelessly in love with him already. He has a great personality and is very sweet, bright, and spunky. I look forward to all the great stuff we will get to do together as he matures.

Photobucket

He is doing better in his crate (i.e. he is screaming less and less :) ) and makes friends with everyone he meets. Thanks so much, Dianne and Patrick, for entrusting him to me.

Sooooo..... on another note, I decided not to run Cedar in the trial this weekend. I know that it was our "goal" and whatnot, but I really don't feel confident enough in Cedar OR me to jump feet first into water wayyyy over our heads. She isn't comfortable enough with picking sheep up off the set-out person, still blows me off too much, and (the biggie!) I am not a confident enough handler for me to even expect her to behave herself on a strange field with flighty sheep :) Oh well, a couple more months of practice can't hurt, right? I still will plan on the April Gem State Herding AHBA trial. I think that'll be a good place for us to start.

I don't want to make it seem like we're not making any progress-- we ARE! And lots of it! Her outrun is really coming together and she is staying off her sheep much better. She is beginning to actually think about her decisions and learn from them which I really like to see. That being said, I just don't think that trialing her at this point in our training would be a good thing. Maybe by the time the Novice trial rolls around in June, we'll be more solid on everything and be able to try for some driving instead of fetching through the whole course. But I'd just be happy with a run where she didn't split the sheep to holy hell or split one off and run it into the fence. Ugh.

Baby steps...

We have a lesson on Thursday, I'm excited to work her after almost two weeks off.

P.S. I love this photo of her:

Photobucket

LMAO

No comments: